Last Thursday we had a district meeting. The keynote speaker was absolutely amazing and made me laugh SO hard. He also had some really great messages that hit really hard as well. He talked about how teachers (& doctors!) are never really allowed to have a "bad day." You can't really come to school feeling "off." Parents and kids depend on you to be happy, positive, and on your toes all day and all year long. I don't get to step aside to make phone calls. I don't get to hop on the computer whenever I feel like it. I don't even get to go to the bathroom when I want! It can be hard to be happy in front of a group of 30 kids who all have different needs, personalities, etc. AND are depending on you to make or break the day. He reiterated the importance of showing up every day with the same thought in mind..."it's showtime!" I LOVED that! It made me remember how important it is to try my hardest to be on my "A game" all year long.
The beginning of the year is hard. You're trying to feel everything out and still be the teacher the kids need you to be. HOWEVER, although I have never done anything so draining, I've also never done anything so rewarding...ever. In the last few days, nearly half of my class from last year has returned to visit; 7 of them came today. I could've cried. They are literally some of the most special people in my life and to have them come back and share pieces of their new little junior high lives with me made me so happy. I seriously forgot how funny and entertaining they are. I feel so lucky to have shared a chapter of my life with them & I look forward to getting to share another one with a whole new group of kids.
It's hard to explain the love a teacher has for their students. I imagine it's similar to what I'll feel with my own kids one day. You truly do love them like your own. You spend more hours awake together every day than you do with anyone else. You become like family & I really believe that many of my relationships with these kids will carry on for years. I love(d) that little class of mine from last year more than I can say & even though it's hard to think of loving another group that much again, I'm sure it will happen.
Here's to Year #2! It's showtime!!

3 comments:
Good luck with your class this year! I am sure you are such an awesome teacher! And yes! We are dog sitting for the streadbecks! Anne told me that she was JD's cousin! She asked me how I knew you the other day! And I said, "I guess I don't actually know her in person... Haha... Just through my husband and blogs..." haha! We should change that.
Good luck!!! I wish I was in your class!
I love your blog! As a middle school French teacher, I totally get you. I cry at the end of every school year when I have to say goodbye.
I am starting my third year. Good luck with year #2!
Post a Comment