I hate goodbyes.

9:08 PM

IMG_0985

Peace out, 6th grade!  I retire my school polo tomorrow afternoon & it is the most bittersweet feeling in the world.  So many people have asked me if I'm relieved, sad, nervous, excited, and a million other emotions & every time I have no idea how to answer.  Instead, tears just well up in my eyes and then they get scared and change the topic of conversation.

I've spent the last 2 years as a 6th grade teacher and loved {almost} every minute.  I really was blessed to have two AMAZING classes of kids who will go down in the books as being some of the most near and dear people to my heart.  I was equally blessed to be able to work with an understanding, creative, hilarious and embracing faculty {no really --- they are freaking awesome}.  They took me in and made me feel right at home from day one.  They are people whom I'll always consider my family.

So now it's all coming to a close and I'm at a loss as to what emotions I should be feeling.  In some ways I'm excited for a change of pace.  I won't get to teach my first year due to some scheduling and licensing issues.  Not many people get to take a break from their career and try something completely different and out of their comfort zone.  In that regard, I feel lucky.  At the exact same time, my heart just feels like it's going to burst when I think about all of the people I'm leaving behind.  I have really begun to develop relationships with families at my school and I was just beginning to get siblings of past students {the best!}.  I can truly say that I think I have one of the very best jobs in the world.  12 year olds are incredible.  They are at such a funny, exciting, AND weird part of their lives and I get to witness it all.  They've taught me patience, how to find joy in the simplest of things, how to listen, and most importantly they taught me how to love and accept people for who they are.  Those 55 kids will be the ones I tell my own children about.  They're a reminder that even though we are all so different, there's good in everyone.  Those differences are what make life exciting and refreshing.

It's a weird thing to think that on Saturday morning when I wake up, I won't be a "6th grade teacher" anymore.  Whether good or bad, I've begun to define myself with that title.  I feel a sense of pride being able to say that I'm a teacher.  I love attending their recitals, concerts, and games.  I love being the one that they run to in the morning to spill their guts to.  I love watching that light bulb go off when they finally understand a concept we've worked on.  I love listening to them read and I love reading to them.  I love seeing them cheer when they've finally earned their pizza party & I love that something as simple as a mechanical pencil can excite them.  I love when a student says, "This is the most fun I've ever had doing poetry!"  And if I'm being truthful, I even love getting spoiled with their sweet words and homemade gifts.  Sometimes in life, there just aren't words to sufficiently describe feelings and this is one of those moments.  All I can say is that the past two years have been full of growing, learning, loving, celebrating, trying, and eventful of my life - and for those reasons alone, they will be two of my best.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mrs. Raz,
I hate to say good bye to you! I love you so so much, and you have tough me so much. Both school related and not. Being in your class was like the best year of my life too! I got to Jr. High and it all changed... but you defiantly thought me {almost} all I needed to know to go on to that crazy world!
I love you lots!
-Rachel