Spring Lake Carnival.
11:04 PM
, By: Ash & JDTonight was our school carnival & although I just didn't quite make it to the sign-up sheet in enough time to reserve a seat in the "Fun Flush" tank (darn it!), it was still a great evening. I feel like I've been really nostalgic lately --- not necessarily for the past, though (although seeing all of my 6th graders from last year tonight kind of made me feel that way). Can you be nostalgic for the present? If you can, I am. I feel like I've been trying to soak in every moment of my current life because I am just not ready to let it slip away.
This job has brought an entirely new perspective into my life. JD and I are in such an interesting chapter of our lives. We don't have kids, although many of our close friends are growing little families of their own. He's in school & I work (2 jobs..sort of). As we get nearer and nearer to our 3 year anniversary, more and more people feel the need to ask why I haven't put a bun in the oven yet (not that it's anyone's business...). Without going too deeply into things, I have to say that I truly believe with everything in me, that I do have 28 kids of my own right now...as we speak (or type/read...whatever). And I believe that last year I had 27 kids of my own...who still visit and talk with me often. In some ways, I've sent them off to college, but they still call "home" every once in a while. :) In all seriousness though, I love my job. I know that the love I have for my own kids one day will be different, but I am so grateful for this perspective that I have been lucky enough to be having.
I love that at this point in my life, I have enough spare time to go to their games and recitals. And the best part? So does JD. I love that he gets to be involved with my students and I love even more that they love him. I love that I get to work with such amazing people every day who make me laugh when I want to pull my hair out & who understand me when I need to vent. I love that we just get each other. Teachers are like that. No one can really understand until they've done it. It's a job of the highest of highs and the lowest of lows & you just have to trust that the highs will make it all worth it. And they do. Every single time.
I love when my students get excited about learning. I'm not naive enough to think that they are ready to jump out of their seats with excitement every time we talk about subjects and predicates and how to write a freaking COMPLETE SENTENCE (Okay... I know sometimes I don't do this on my blog --- see above where I wrote "Every single time." That is purely my writing "voice" shining through ;). However, when those moments happen (& they do for every teacher), they are pure, rich moments that I tend to revisit often in my mind.
I love that I get to work with 11 and 12 year olds all day. Do I dare admit that I'd be terrified to ever take 2 steps into a lower grade classroom? It's just that 11-12 year olds are so full of life and humor (& a little bit more responsibility...mostly). I love that they are just getting to the age where they are worried about the opposite gender and what they will think. And I love that at the very same time, some of them are absolutely clueless. I love that I have relationships with many of them from last year, that have lasted (& hopefully will continue to last) longer than the school year. And can I just say... I love that they are so stinking fun? I legitimately enjoy being in their company. Sure, there are days where I want to do one or more of a few things: cry, pull my hair out, march to another teacher's room and vent, or cry some more. Regardless, I love them. And I love my job. And I love the people I get to work with. I love it all. And that my friends, is why I am feeling nostalgic...for the present. I don't want it to go away. Ever. (There is my anti-climatic ending to my novel of a post.)
P.S. If you're curious about that bag of garden veggies... it came from Susan (one of the 6th grade teachers) tonight. YEAH! I'm all over home grown produce since I obviously don't have any of my own!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Ok I have been reading your blog for a little while now, and I have LOVED hearing about your teacher adventures. It's something I've wanted to do my whole life, but I've always struggled with the whole "young mormon girl studying eled" negative stigma (is it just me?!) I just have to say this post might have inspired me to change my whole school path. Thank you so much for sharing your sweet thoughts!
Post a Comment