The girls officially have 4 teeth each right now! Two bottom ones that have been completely in for about 3-4 months now, and now their two top ones are on their way down. They've actually already broken through the gums and it's just been a waiting game for the past few weeks {is it normal for it to hurt as they're coming down?? I never noticed any fussiness/issues as they were breaking through the gums, but now that they're out, it seems to bother them more}.
With their first two, there weren't any huge signs that the teeth were coming in, with the exception of some drooling. This second set however, has proven to be a bit more difficult. They are drooling A TON and had a little bit of trouble sleeping for a few nights {crossing my fingers that we're over that hump!}. Today, Stella grabbed her little doll {made of terrycloth} out of the ottoman and literally shoved it in her mouth. I was cracking up and of course had to document it, but I started wondering if anyone has any favorite teethers/tricks to make this process more enjoyable, since it's really only beginning. I'm going to try a wet washcloth, but please! Tell me all your secrets! We have a long way to go to fill those little mouths up!

10 comments:
I'm still teething and haven't quite figured it out.
Kinsey loved chewing on a toothbrush! The twins didn't really take it though so I think it just depends on what your kid reaches for and what works for them.
Ash, you know those fruit mesh things. I actually don't put any food in them (too messy) I was given the advice to put ice cubes in them abs Quinn LOVES it. She will be fussy and if I give her the mesh with ice she will naw on that until the ice is gone!!
Meg
I have heard of putting a damp wash cloth in the freezer and then let them chew on it. In the olden days we had a topical teething medicine called numz it that we could rub on their gums. My niece swears by amber necklaces, but I don't know anything about those.
Freezing the teething rings help, because when they are chewing, the cold kind of works as an anesthetic to numb the pain. Also straws. Just tie lots of straws together and they chew on the ends of them and it helps.
Some people swear by the Amber necklaces so I actually tried one with V - he looked so ridiculous and I didn't notice an ounce of a difference so after about a week I took it off! It's yours if you want to give it a go...let me know and I'll mail it to you.
I bought lots of teething rings and they're good to have, but he didn't love them a ton. Oh, otter pops! If it's a really bad day, just saying, kid deserves an otter pop and it helps with the gums. On nights I knew he was teething I'd give him baby Advil before bed. I found Advil works better than Tylenol (and the white grape actually tastes better too so it's easier to administer). There are little tablets you could try that I bought too- Chamomila. He liked them. We also tried some little liquid packets hat come in individual tubes (can't remember the name, sorry). Jury's still out if either worked or not, but it made me feel better that I was trying something. Last one, there's a cute little banana toothbrush that is all plastic that V loved to chew on. You can get it on Amazon or I think Target may have it too. I just used it to brush his teeth at morning at night, but sometimes he'd chew on it for a few extra minutes and it looked like it felt good.
If you're catching my drift, unfortunately I don't think there is one miracle solution out there, but different things work for different people so it's good to have a few tools in your toolbox to try on the hard days!
Oh and regarding your question about whether it's normal to still hurt after they've broken through the gums, I totally think it is. Was the same for V too. If you think about what it felt like when we had braces, the ache and pain that comes with teeth shifting around the mouth, it's gotta hurt pretty bad to have them shift down (or up) too in little babies!!! Hang in there mama. ❤️
Put an ice cube in a washcloth (tied off with rubber band) or let them gnaw on a cold peeled carrot- they shouldn't get any pieces off but will just kind of bite on their sore spots. Clove oil or peppermint extract helos too if you rub a little on their gums
My little guy has 12 teeth now and while I really don't believe anything actually helps relieve the pain. I do think teething biscuits/wafers are a good distraction for them to chip away at with their teeth plus they're a nice little snack : )
We use the amber necklace and have since Jack was about 4 or 5 months... I would wrap it around his foot and then cover with a sock. Then around 9 or 10 months I switched it to around his neck and haven't taken it off since. We have had moments of teeth coming up and we have no idea he's teething and then moments of teething that are treacherous. I learned that you are supposed to switch them out every 3 months or something but I've never changed it! I also do Tylenol and ibprofin after 6 months. I feel like ibprofin worked way better because it helps with inflammation. Also the mesh eaters were so awesome. I would do frozen pears and apples and he loooved it.
Post a Comment