I have been thinking about the craziness of things that seem like little life decisions, all day. Five years ago, I called my mom and dad begging them to let me apply for a job at GAP. The reason I had to beg is because I wasn't particularly dedicated to my school work, and my dad would always say, "You're at BYU to go to school & get good grades - not to get a job." I promised I'd study and work hard and if I couldn't keep the grades up, that I'd quit. My plea worked, and I was able to interview and get the job (& keep it, by the way).
Back then, I was looking for something to keep me busy while JD was gone, put a little extra cash in my wallet, and it wasn't upsetting me that I was going to get an awesome discount. I never saw it as something I'd hang onto for so long. Now, five years later, I have fallen in love with the company, the clothes, and more importantly, the people I work with (hence why I teach AND still have this job). Some of you may remember that JD's dad had a stroke over a year ago. Lots of people asked about it and wanted to know how he was doing even a few months after it happened, but at this point, not many people really say anything about it (not that I need them to... I'm just explaining this to prove my point). The few people who do, are my co-workers at GAP. There have been so many times where one of my managers or another sales associates sees me or JD and asks how things are going with his dad. It's such a small gesture, but it reminds me every time that I am so lucky to work with people who care about my life.
I really love those people that I work with/for. My managers have always gone out of their way to be understanding and flexible. They and the rest of the crew make shifts much more enjoyable and quick. There's something about being put in stressful, sweaty (trust me...today was a sweaty day) situations that creates bonds between people! :) I've been blessed to work with lots of people through the years who have come & gone (& some who have stayed!) & impacted me in different ways. To the awesome people I work(ed) with, thanks for being so great. You guys make our store a happy, fun place to be.
Who would've guessed that I'd be Gap'ing it up 5 years later? I sure wouldn't have! Now, I can't even imagine anything different. In honor of my 5 years with this company, I thought I'd share my favorite GAP commercial. I love the little blondie that screams. SO great.


1 comment:
I got that same plaque this year too! First, I love love love that Christmas commercial. And, second, I miss working at the Orem Gap. I've got lots of good memories there. Hope all is well!
Post a Comment