#Summerofreading

12:13 AM

 
My lazy self reading in bed all morning//My dressed self reading in bed all afternoon
Who doesn't love a good reading snack?//One of my post-its for next year

During the school year, I am generally reading 5-6 books at a time with my reading groups.  I usually try to choose books for them that interest me {is that selfish??} & hopefully, the kids.  Even though we have a good guided reading library {a library full of sets of 6-8 copies of the same book}, I'm still limited on what I can choose since I need enough books for each of the kids + me.  So, although I definitely got to read some awesome books during the year, I still ended up compiling quite a list of "I reaaaalllly want to read youuu" books.  

I maybe set an unattainable goal for myself back in May.  After the kids went home on the last day of school, I went through my bookshelves and picked out about 20 or so books that I wanted to bring to SF.  Somewhere along the way, I ended up with nearly 30.  Whoops.  It's not easy keeping up with young adult literature.  By 6th grade, they're reading thicker books that you can't get through quite as quickly.  However, I still want to be able to recommend good reads that are recently published.  SO as of today, I've only read 14.5 {from what I can for sure remember}.  I have a LONG way to go.  I got lazy for a few weeks and wasted some time.   I guess either way you look at it, I still can recommend 14.5 books more than I could 2 months ago.  I'm pretty sure that I could reach my original goal of 20 if I really tried, but 30 is pretty much out of the question.  

Wednesday, I read "Dead End in Norvelt."  Honestly, I really loved it.  I have to admit that I'm a big fan of historical fiction.  Plus, I've been reading a lot of Utopian societies kinds of books, lately.  Although I'm also a fan of those, I really find myself needing to switch up my genres every few books. After I finished, I started "Fablehaven."  I'm not much for fantasy, but everyone raves about this series and I promised Hailey I would try it out.  I'm only about 1/3 of the way into the book right now, but so far I really like it.  I found myself stopping to mark pages that I could use when teaching figurative language and traits of writing {please tell me some of you other teachers have this same complex}.  

So that was my day of reading.  Really.  Other than eating and showering, that's all I did.  #noregrets 

No comments: