Thoughts.

6:33 PM

Many of you probably already know this, but I'm graduating in April from BYU with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education. The thought of being a teacher never even crossed my mind until my Junior year of high school when I had a chance to work in the elementary schools frequently to teach about drug and alcohol abstinence. It was literally one day when it finally just hit me, that it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

I got to BYU my freshman year and eagerly declared my major, never looking back. I went to Peru in 2008 to work in an orphanage and the experiences I had there only solidified what I had been planning up to that point. Even working with the Especially for Youth program helped me to realize how much I loved teaching --- even if they were in high school. However, when it came time to actually apply for the program, I had a momentary freak out where I was unsure of what I really wanted to do. After spending an entire Christmas break looking at different majors, I finally went with my gut and applied to the program. As soon as I started it --- although it was time consuming and VERY busy --- I absolutely loved it.

Although we spend time on campus taking classes and such, we also spend 1 month of our 2nd semester in a lower grade classroom (I was in 1st) and 1 month of our 3rd semester in an upper grade classroom (I was in 5th). The first time I did this, I was in the classroom with one of my best pals Raegan. Looking back, we probably had no clue what we were doing --- but it was fun and the kids were super sweet AND funny. The second time I was in the classroom, I experienced a little bit of shock. 5th grade was WAY different than the sweet little 1st graders. By different, I mean sassy, crazy, hormonal, unfocused, slightly ADD, and at times, defiant. After the first week, I came home bawling and again, went through a momentary freak out where I suddenly honestly and truly believed that I had just wasted YEARS of education and that there was no way I actually wanted to repeat myself 34829 times a day, ask students to keep their seats on the ground, remind kids how to properly line up, and have to break up recess fights on a weekly basis. Yeah... that was not the job for me.

HOWEVER, I am not much of a quitter and so I courageously marched right back into the classroom the next week and gave it my all. Although the craziness and chaos never really did end, I came to learn how to teach and manage (as best as I could) them. But above all, I learned to love those hormonal and sassy kids for all that they were! Although I still had some doubts at times --- like when my professor insisted we write 20 page narrative lesson plans --- I felt like I was heading in the right direction.

About two weeks ago, I started my student teaching in Spanish Fork in a 6th grade class. Today as I was leaving school, I called my mom and unloaded about how grateful I am that this is what I'm doing. I love teaching and I love being with kids. I have the greatest mentor teachers (yes there are two of them!) ever. They each have different teaching methods, and I LOVE that. I learn so much from both of them and they have been more than I could have ever hoped for.

When I think back on all of the highs and lows of my education thus far, I realize that it has finally ALL been worth it. My professors were amazing and prepared me well. Although I am totally inadequate as a teacher, I feel more and more prepared each day. I truly was placed in this specific school with specific teachers and co-workers, and specific students for a reason. Every doubt I had before is gone. I am so grateful that I took the path I did --- now I just need to find myself a job for next fall!

Am I having a 'proud to be a Coug' moment right now? I think I am. I never really did know how much pride I had in my school until I realized I was graduating so soon. I have loved BYU. I have loved my professors (well, most of them) and I don't think it's by chance that I've had all of these experiences so far.

4 comments:

sandi said...

Congrats! Oh, I wish you would come to cali and teach at Oso Grande Elementary! I really think you should!

Joey and Raegan said...

I needed to read this right now!! I am having the experience like your last 5th grade class so I need some motivation and this did it for me. You are amazing and going to be the best teacher ever! Your little kids will be in love with you every year. I feel so lucky to have made such a good friend on this long journey we have had. I will always think back on my college experience and think of you! Love you and miss you!

M.C. Sommers said...

Ashley~ I'm not sure if you remember me, but I visit taught you for all of one month in the BYU 198th ward :)

I saw the link to your blog on Facebook and so I read this post. I remember talking to you about teaching. It's so cool that you are so close to graduating. Congratulations!

danielle said...

ahh. for real.
tuesday=amazing
yesterday=awful
today=kind of good
that's the best part of teaching. everyday EVERYONE starts with a blank slate. your problems don't get carried over day to day for the most part.
so much patience & love is required. i'm awful at it but i love those kiddos. glad you've been having a good experience :)