It's a strange concept to think that people who you grow to love so much, you may never see or even talk to again. It makes me glad to know that even though I might not see them in this life, we'll be able to see each other in the next. I really can't wait for that moment. I can't even begin to express how much I learned from them. I'll never forget the night that Dani and I said goodbye to them. It's quite possibly one of the teariest evenings of my life.
I blame myself a lot for never going back. I swore to myself that I would go back the following year for the month of May. But, with a shortage of finances and no one to go with me, it never ended up working out. At this point, I don't know many of the boys at the orphanage anymore --- most have gone home or been sent to other orphanages. Either way, I still love my 33 little boys and think about them plenty. It was fun to see some recent pictures of them from the Facebook page. It reminded me that even though they have grown up SO much, their little personalities haven't changed a bit.
Case in point:
Maxi---The top picture is obviously the more recent. Can we just talk about how this kid has grown up to be a little stud?! Look at that stunna pose on Machu Picchu. What a lady killer!


Alberto --- Yep... he hasn't changed one bit. Even though he might look slightly more violent during the time I was with him, he's still a nutcase as usual. This kids' energy is never ending and I love him to death for it.


Ezekiel --- Still thinks he's the coolest thing ever, but mostly a pretty easy going guy. The boys use to call him borracho (drunk). He did always have that look about him...but we loved him anyway.



And then there's Erasmo --- this little bugger was just a tyke when we met him. In other words, he was the baby of the orphanage. He's still making his crazy faces and being adorable.



Even though Peru/lack of showers/dirty hands all the time/never understanding what the heck people are saying/dogs taking up all the taxis made us a little crazy sometimes...
I couldn't have been happier I got to travel across the world and meet all those sweet little boys, with one of my best friends in the world Daniiii. P.S. Incase you didn't fully get the level of craziness that these boys possessed, I would like to share a little photo story with you.
One day...us volunteers decided to throw a spaghetti dinner for our little ones. The boys got a little excited, broke into the kitchen while we were cooking, and got a little nuts. See photo below.

Lee had to physically remove Marco from the kitchen since he wouldn't go willingly. That little booger.

Physical removal was not enough. Doors had to be locked...and then came the banging.

Amidst all the noise, we happily finished pouring in the yummy peruvian brand of italian sauce (jealous??).

And then finished off the evening with a nice huge pot of pasta...that we made them finish.

Loved my life that summer. No. Seriously. It was the best.
2 comments:
That's so awesome that you got to go to Peru! Pace served his mission in Peru and he cannot wait until the day he can take me there. We're even thinking of adopting from Peru someday, probably a long time from now. Peruvian kids are SO adorable!
just read this. uhhghghg when are we going back. don't make me cry over this ash...
Post a Comment