Wake up and smell the roses.

9:16 AM

I need .2 seconds to vent.

-My wedding pictures/album are FINALLY here. By "here" I mean my parents house...which is now 7 hours away. My mom WOULD mail them to me, but she doesn't feel comfortable mailing them to a hotel. Why is it that they are ALL I can think about right now?

-Now you're wondering what I'm doing in a hotel.
We ARE in Pennsylvania. But not our summer home yet (I like the sound of that..."summer home." Makes me feel like we're living down by the beach --The Susqehana river is close enough, right?) Hotels really aren't too bad. Free breakfast, gym, pool, house keeping...But for some reason I am REALLY losing my mind.

-I went to Subway to grab JD a lunch for today. The second I went to back up out of the parking spot, I realized that I can't see anything but pillows, blankets, and clothes out of my rear-view mirror (since our life is currently being stored within the walls of the Tahoe). Since I already have enough trouble driving that tank, I'm not thinking it will be too safe for me to navigate around a foreign city when I can't see much of anything behind me. This ruins my plans for the day.

-But wait. The whole "not being able to drive very safely" problem isn't actually a problem at all. 'Why' you ask? I would like to say I'm a pretty independent person. I'd rather do lots of things by myself than with other people. I don't have a problem grabbing a bite to eat alone (okay... I wouldn't go into a sit down restaurant by myself for an extended period of time --- that's crossing my limits).

HOWEVER,

I have realized these past few weeks that I REALLY like to be busy and have to-do lists. Even though I probably wanted to keel over and die like 12 times last semester with my crazy schedule, I liked it. Deep down, I really did enjoy having lots to do.

BUT, I like to be busy with other people.
I had an insane school schedule but it was WITH the 25 other girls in my classes.
I had to wake up at the crack of dawn to go teach every day but it was WITH Raegan.
I did homework every night but it was WITH J.D.
I wanted to cry every time I thought about my 8 finals I had to study for, but I got to study WITH friends.

Conclusion:
I NEED PEOPLE.
I LOVE PEOPLE.
I THRIVE ON THE COMPANY OF FRIENDS.

Having J.D. gone until 10pm every night is sad.
Lonely is lonely.
It is not fun or funny.
It is not pleasant or perfect.
It is boring.

So really, the fact that I can't "safely drive anywhere" is not much of a problem at all, because I don't WANT to go anywhere by myself. I have no one to laugh with or talk to.

Okay... so that was a lot longer than .2 seconds.
Even though I am obviously in complaining mode,
I've had plenty of alone, independent, boring time to think.
I have a million things to be thankful for!
So if you're STILL reading,
here goes.

1. JD
JD = such a fantastic, hardworking, funny best friend.

2. My friends.
Friends = Hilarious, always there, happiness.

3. The fact that Oklahoma was in the runnings for where we would spend our summer.
Oklahoma = Tornados (no thank you).

4. The fact that Little Rock was picked first & then backfired.
Little Rock = Lots of bad credit, driving through floods and traffic (nope, not for me).

5. The fact that we are now living in Harrisburg.
Harrisburg = 1 hour away from D.C., 1 hour away from Baltimore, 40 minutes from Gettysburg, 3 hours from NYC
(yes please).

6. Our wonderful family
Rasmussens & Eckels = The best families ANYONE could ask for.



Have I lucked out in life, or what?
one rough week is nothing :)


4 comments:

Christa Chamberlin said...

Ash, I feel your pain. Ben works alllll day and alllll night (ya til 1 am) and I am bored out of my mind lately! Just stay busy and talk on the phone to friends and family--that totally helps. :) Take care girl!

Ashley Kay said...

ash, you can call me ANYTIME! please do actually because i miss you and want to catch up with you! seriously, just give me a call! love you!

Joey and Raegan said...

Call me too!! And I hate hearing that story... I secretly wish you were just here in Provo still. I'm sure it'll get better soon though! Let me know of any good dinners/crafts in the works (that is, after you leave the hotel). There are a bunch of little first graders who are "missing you like crazy" as they said and maybe me too!

danielle said...

Raegan does miss you.
She told me yesterday.
I miss you so much.
We're due for a chat about now. I haven't talked to you since this morning.
I'll call you after I finish homework duties.
Sorry you're bored.
love.
you.