A post I thought I'd never write.

10:35 AM

When these photos were taken, these two were just shy of 11 months.  Now they're only 17(!!) days away from having their 1st birthday.  I'm still trying to wrap my ahead around where in the heck the last   348 days went.  Our little angels have been in our lives for almost one year {although it feels like so much longer} and so has something else…my pump! 

If you've had a conversation with me in the last year, you've heard me talk about my pump {it just occurs to me that I might as well have given it a name, we've spent so much time together} at least 8+ times.  Seriously.  Our first two weeks together were h*#$.  I nearly broke into tears every time I turned the dial and started to hear that awful noise it makes.  It hurt like crazy for a good month or two and then somewhere along the line, we turned a corner and it just became a part of life.  If the girls were eating, I was pumping {at my peak, I was pumping for 4.5 hours a day total}.  Even though it was "the norm," that didn't make it any more convenient.  I hated it the most when we were on vacations and I'd have to leave whatever was happening to go dump.  I also had to be at home A LOT on any given day.  Any road trip, or even day trip away from home, resulted in a good hour of hand pumping {and lots of hand cramps} every 3 or so hours.  It was never convenient, but it just felt like the right decision for our family {and it was free!}. 

My goal was always 6 months.  Then we made it & I told myself at any point after that, I could stop whenever I felt like it.  I described it to JD like running on a treadmill.  The first mile SUCKS.  BAD.  And then the second mile still kind of stinks, but you're starting to cruise a bit more.  By mile 3, you're in your groove and you feel like you can probably go a little longer.  By mile 4, you're like, "Freak!  I've already done 4.  Might as well go for 5!"  That's exactly how pumping felt to me.  {Sidenote: I can't relate to anything past 5 miles, because I've never done more than that!}  Once I got into the groove, whether I liked it or not, it just became a part of my day.  Of course there were times I hated it more than others, but it sort of started to define me.  I'd tell JD that I hoped that I'd just dry up randomly so that I wouldn't have to make the decision on my own to stop.

I feel like I wrote a post about letting my career {teaching} define me, a while back & how once it was finally over, it felt SO weird because that was just who I was.  Whether good or bad, that's sort of what pumping became for me.  When you're pumping 60 oz a day, it's hard to not let that define you.  "Call me Bessy!" I'd say.  When we'd drive by a herd of cows, I'd give them a fist bump and call them "my people."  I'm not saying it's right, but I am saying that's just how things were.

I've slowly been weaning off my pump since August, in hopes that I would be fully done by their first birthday.  We went to New York two weekends ago and so I decided to make the big drop… to only pump in the morning and then once before bed {they're taking four bottles a day, so two are breast milk and two are now formula}.  The first few days were a little painful, and it's taken about 2 weeks, but my supply has pretty much plummeted.  As of this morning, I have no "reserve" in the fridge and I barely made enough for their next bottle.  I wasn't even very full when I woke up this morning.  It was a weird feeling.  Actually, for the past two weeks, I've been feeling so strange about it all being over.  I thought I'd be running laps around the neighborhood singing the Hallelujah chorus at this point, but instead I'm honestly feeling a little torn up about it.  My reaction to it all has been so strange to me.  I know lots of women feel sad when they're done nursing, but I didn't think I'd really have that because so much of nursing is being able to feel that bond with your baby.  With pumping, there's no physical connection.  In fact, I'm nearly positive that my girls have NO idea that their food even comes from me.    Pumping can feel pretty lonely sometimes.  That being said, I wouldn't change our situation for the world.  It has worked better for us than any other option.  I guess I just thought I'd feel a sense of relief at the end of all of this.  Instead, it's almost like I feel like something is being taken away from me.  The fact that actually typing that out, makes me tear up a little is SO crazy and weird.  I mean, I've spent the last 348 days waiting for this moment.  And now that it's here, I'm feeling pretty sad that this chapter is closing.

6 comments:

Rachel U said...

I love this! Whatever works for the mom is the best! I was feeling so guilty for so long that I decided not to breastfeed and just do formula. But it was the best decision for me and for Anders and we are both happy and he's fed and healthy and everything seems right. Good for you for pumping for so long! You are amazing! Moms are amazing no matter how they decide to feed their babies!

We The Z's Recipes said...

eek! I can't believe they're almost one!! I remember seeing their cute pumpkin pictures at the hospital, and now we are buddies!! can't wait to see the cutest birthday party of the century!

Tori said...

You are a rockstar for pumping as much and as long as you have!!!! Nice work Ash. I'm sure once you're done you'll find PLENTY of other ways to spend this hours! Hooray for the next chapter! ❤️

Kate Stone said...

Ash. I'm pumping as I read this and I'm at the exact same phase as you: once in the morning and once at night. I think you explained it perfectly. Georgia hasn't really nursed in a long time because she got so used to drinking the bottle while I finished out the school year teaching but now that it's coming to an end, it feels kind of sad. I have used pumping time to read and do scripture study which I may not have made so much time for if I wasn't strapped to a machine. Ha. I guess it's time to set priorities by choice. I have another reason I may need to stop soon but I appreciate your post. Ps. I'm amazed that you pumped for 2 all this time. You're my hero! 👊🏼

Jessica Holly said...

I actually got a little depressed after I stopped nursing Clara for a couple months and my doctor told me it was the hormonal swing! Kind of like post-partum but for nursing! It's so crazy all the things our bodies go through for these babies! So worth it though! Way to go for pumping so long! That's amazing!!!

LoAnn said...

Your babies are precious and I have loved watching them grow up on your blog and on insta over the last few months. I think you are AMAZING for pumping as long as you did. My children refused to breastfeed so I only pumped with 1 of the 4 kids and it only lasted 7 weeks. Back then it was all done with a hand pump, NIGHTMARE!!. You are my hero, feeding a baby (literally) two times every time is hard and you are doing it for two. Congrats! Thanks for helping MarLeice adjust to SF. She loves your babies. I can't wait to see them when we come visit her.