I'm not sure 'weather' I like this or not...

7:47 PM


I hope the picture above isn't too blurry to read.  When you start typing "San Fran..." into the search bar on weather.com, these two places pop up.  More times than I'd like to admit, I've fist pumped out of excitement because I've accidentally clicked on San Francisco, ARGENTINA instead of California. DANG.  Let me tell you, there is just a slight difference in the temperatures.  I wouldn't mind being in that San Fran instead most days.

My mom is coming to SF tomorrow for a few days.  I told her to be prepared with layers, a jacket, and comfortable shoes (all the things that I learned were essential, the hard way).  I had to laugh when she asked if she should bring her swimsuit to lay out!  The weather here really doesn't break 65, well, ever.  And that's during the peak few hours of the day.  This is definitely a chillier city than most.  At first, this was really frustrating to met because in my opinion, summer is a synonym for sun, tanning, heat, and swimsuits.  Growing up in Ohio and going to Utah for college taught me that I could endure the cold months, in exchange for really beautiful falls, springs, and hot summers.  I've always felt like it was pretty even exchange.

However, SF is pretty much the opposite.  The average low/high temperature year round, goes anywhere from 45-70 degrees - no more, no less.  Considering that's only a 25 degree difference in the span of 12 months, it's quite different from anywhere I've lived.  There's not really a freezing OR a hot. In some ways, this is kind of nice.  I'm sure I'd enjoy it much more if I lived here year round.  From what I'm told, August-October is the warmest time of the year... just in time for me to leave.  I will say that the breeze and chillier weather does come in handy when it comes to my frequent uphill climbs.  So in that regard, I'm thankful for the cooler air.  

Ah, so many pros and cons to this weather predicament.  Such is life, I guess.  I just really wish weather.com would stop being so tricky.  I hope this post is helpful to someone, though.  I had no idea about this weather until I got here.  I heard all about the overcast stuff, but not much about it being cold.  I had pictured a summer of laying out in a park and reading all day.  Take away the swimsuit and park and insert gloomy apartment and there's my summer in a nutshell. ;)

P.S. I do feel a little jipped on my summer weather.  Once I get back to Utah, it'll be time for fall weather.  Good thing I got some cute boots from the Anniversary Sale!  :)

1 comment:

Tahnee Gregory said...

I think I'd take a San Fran summer over a Mesa, AZ summer...we're dying here! Hopefully the winters really are as great as everybody says :)
PS. we have cockroaches too...I'm dying!