Before I go all "insta" on you, I have to share an experience that I had on Sunday. Of course we sang "The Star Spangled Banner" as our closing hymn, and as we did, I had some thoughts come to mind. Every time I sing or hear that song, I get chills and some kind of inexplainable feeling of true patriotism and respect for the principles that this country was founded on. It feels like we've lost a sense of that unity. Sure I have my own party, beliefs, and candidate in this upcoming election. But do I feel a need to get on my high horse and declare how I'm so high and mighty and intelligent and my candidate is CLEARLY the best choice to the world wide web? No, I don't. I know who I'm voting for and I know where I stand. If others would like to know more, I am happy to share and even more happy to be proactive & involved in his campaign. But do I need to get in everyone's cyber face and try to shut them down with my oh, so intelligent insights? No.
A friend of mine has been actively involved in the campaign for my candidate's opponent & has a Facebook wall full of posts for her candidate. Although we have different viewpoints, I have so much respect for her. She believes in something, and instead of posting a status about how ridiculous so&so is, she states her viewpoint and does it in a tasteful, classy way. No one is ever going to see eye-to-eye on everything, but the point is, there can be a level of respect amongst one another. The founders didn't agree on everything, but in the end, there was one thing that brought them together: respect for freedom and independence. This is an amazing country & every time I sing that song, I'm reminded of that again and again. I almost hesitate to post this, but in doing so, I hope that I am clear that I'm not saying that we all have to agree on every issue. I simply wish that we could all keep in mind the true and solid principles that are the foundation of this country, without calling people bigots, close-minded, hateful, etc. Viewpoints are personal and important; you have yours and I have mine.
Now onto my day of celebrating independence. JD and I had a great time yesterday running around the city, and then some. I loved getting a whole day to myself with him. Thanks Goldman! You da best. Here was our day....
8 Steps to a perfect July 4th:
1. Stop at vendors on the streets and run into one talented
little man who has the cutest rings ever. These were two
that I personally fell in love with.
2. Search the restaurants on the pier and go for the
most patriotic of them all: hot dogs and burgers.
3. Search all over for a bathroom, and find this. Men
and women sharing? What?! Picture mass confusion,
since that is exactly what happened when people walked
in and saw the sign. Needless to say, I didn't hang around
for long...
4. Drive over the bridge to see Sausalito & Tiburon.
5. Buy tickets from scalpers to board the ferry to
Angel Island to view the fireworks AND feel
special that you are making history since this is the
very first time that they've let the public do this.
6. Venture around the island and learn about
all the things that went down there.
7. Buy a blanket. It's colder than you thought.
8. Realize that not only do you have views of the bridge
AND the city, but you also get to see 3 shows: Sausalito,
and the two shows in San Fran. Talk about entertainment.
I've never seen a show quite like the one in SF. The
fireworks were very unique. We're talking hearts,
smiley faces, peace signs, Saturns, and everything in
between. I was hoping for an American flag, but
maybe next year. Love me some U.S.A. pride.
It was a wonderful 4th of July in the city/Angel Island. I love this country and am grateful to the men and women who sacrifice(d) to keep this a free country. God Bless America, my home sweet home.













No comments:
Post a Comment