Overwhelmed?

10:17 PM


This picture above is of my beautiful school where I'll be teaching at in ONE MONTH! I pretty much spend every single day there. I literally drive to these six places...and only these six places.

1. The school
2. Walmart
3. Hobby Lobby
4. Alphabet Station
5. GAP
6. Home

I really don't even know where my time goes anymore. Does anyone else out there feel like this? I have come to terms with the fact that my summer is pretty much over, even though there's supposedly four weeks left. I'm not upset about it to be honest. I've had plenty of free time this summer AND amazing vacations. I'm totally good with the whole get ready for school deal. My only problem is that I will show up to the school and five hours later I look at the time and am in shock. I feel like I am going nonstop, but when I take a look around me it appears as if I've accomplished nothing.

I've also had a recent realization that has been quite devastating. I always thought that my classroom would be the cutest thing ever...and that it would be a classroom twist on Anthro and Urban. Ummmm....why did no one tell me I was NUTS?! There are so many things wrong with that dumb idea. First, anything in the class/on the walls must have a function. That means that you can't just decorate to decorate. If it's going on the wall, it better have a good reason. Second, you can't find any posters that are cute (at least in my opinion), the borders are very cliche, and you have a choice of about 5 different colors for butcher paper on bulletin boards. Third, you have to remember that the room is for girls AND boys. I think it's a little unfair for the boys to have to spend that much time in room that was clearly decorated by a woman. These three issues have lead me to the realization (and acceptance) that my classroom will be just like all the others. It was hard to admit, but I've finally done it.

**I will however, be turning my desk area into my own space. And by that, I mean it WILL have some kind of a decorate twist. It is MY space, after all.


All in all, I love going to the school every day. It's so nice to have an obligation, that's not actually an obligation at all. I look forward to going. I even look forward to the drive. It's my country music, sing at the top of my lungs, call mom time. What could be better than those three things?

Here's to many more days prepping the classroom. By the way, you're always welcome to join!

2 comments:

Colette said...

Sorry your classroom can't be what you want. But you can make your desk your own. Have you ever read Just a Girls blog? She teaches 9th grade English and her binder and post it notes and pencils and whatever else she can find is very girly. She says her boys hate borrowing a pencil from her! :)

danielle said...

bahaha i might just copy & paste this post. i have had every single one of those thoughts go through my head. i tried so hard to make my classroom the cutest and clever-est.... didn't really happen. even now, i've had complaints that some of my cute stuff is just "fluff" on the walls but really every single thing has a purpose.
i go to office max, office depot, staples, target, hobby lobby and walmart probably every other day.
still haven't figured out how to compile a giant list and go just once.
oh well.
first day coming soon! i'm getting excited.