Finished with teaching...

5:41 PM

means it's time for crafting!

I have been wanting silhouettes in our home for almost a year now. All summer I scoured the internet for someone who would do it. Everywhere I looked was WAY too expensive though. I took JD's picture for his silhouette back in September when he still had curly long hair --- he wasn't allowed to get a haircut until I got the picture!

After searching for a few months and not finding any satisfying prices, I decided to be a dare devil and see if I could just do it myself. I went to Hobby Lobby for the first time (and was amazed!) and got canvas and paint and had Cougar Creations blow-up our silhouettes. Next I cut out the silhouettes, tacked them on the canvas, traced them, and then painted!

I am SUPER proud of how amazing JD's turned out to be. Mine is still in the works. I'm going to try and touch it up another day. The picture I had blown up of me was with my hair down. Once I cut it out I realized it was going to be a stretch to get it to work, so I did a make-shift bun on the canvas. PLUS, there was a slip on the lips...and I'm nearly positive that last time I looked in the mirror my smackers weren't that big. I'm not super pleased with mine, but I was so eager I had to get them on the wall. I'll probably end up re-doing mine...but that's for another day.




How real does JD's look?! I love it.



I love seeing our little home come together more. It's been a work in progress...that's for sure!

5 comments:

Jenni Carlile said...

Oh Ash, they look so great!

danielle said...

oh my gosh.... i was just at disney world and telling my mom how bad i wanted these in my room! i have one from disney when i was about 4 and i'm going home to find it in my attic. i'm impressed. p.s. hobby lobby is my new fave. pretty sure i went there 3 times last week.

Nielsens said...

ash!! way to go!!!!!!!! i am so impressed they turned out awesome and look so good up on the wall!

Morgan said...

You don't know me, but I found your blog a little while back and I love it. I hope you don't mind that I read it.

I absolutely love how your silhouettes turned out! And even though you don't like yours, I think both of them are so great. I've never made silhouettes before, but I once saw a tutorial that recommended painting the actual photos and then gluing them onto the canvas. Maybe you could try that if you decide to redo yours. I'll bet it would be a lot easier to fix (and would save you from having to buy more canvas) if you don't like it.

Libby said...

Wow. JD's is seriously spot on. Nice work, Ash!